Monday, January 4, 2010

TWD Rewind: Parisian Apple Tartlet

Sometimes there are recipes that seem really easy. A bit too easy, it might seem. Sometimes these recipes are really good. So good that you had no idea it was possible to make such a fabulous dessert out of four ingredients. But sometimes, these recipes are really bad, and you wonder how you could have been so stupid as to even attempt to make them. But then, there are the recipes which are just okay, which tends to be the case with a recipe with just four ingredients. That's the case with these tartlets. They start off with a small round of puff pastry (I think I used one that was a bit too small, because I had to cut my apples smaller than the recipe said to). Then you put on half an apple, cut into fourths. You sprinkle on some brown sugar and butter, and you're done. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes (that was too much for mine - they took about 15-20), and consume. The brown sugar and butter dripped off of the pastry, and burned. This resulted in the bottoms of my tartlets being black and tasting burnt. The apples didn't cook all the way through, but I had to take the tartlets out of the oven because or else they would get too brown. All in all, this is a recipe that I might make if I have small scraps of puff pastry leftover from another recipe, but probably not one I'll serve at a dinner. If you want to try it out for yourself, you can buy the book or find the recipe here. Enjoy!