Saturday, February 6, 2010

TWD Rewind: Gooey Chocolate Cakes

The great thing about baking my way through this book is that I can always trust the recipes - I can make them for anything without worrying that they'll be a disaster. This week, we wanted a special dessert for dinner, and so I consulted my list of "TWD rewinds". When I saw these cakes, I knew they were the recipe I needed. They are quick to prepare (melt some chocolate and butter, mix in some other ingredients by hand, all done), and don't have to be refrigerated for three hours. They are even easier to serve - no slicing of layer cakes or flipping of tarte tatins. Just put them on a plate with a little ice cream and you're good to go.
I read on some other blogs that the 13 minutes the recipe says you should make them for is too long - they don't come out with liquid centers. For fear of under-baking mine, I baked them for 12 and a half minutes. They could have been baked for less time, but the centers were gooey, and the cakes delicious. I didn't sprinkle the finely chopped chocolate on top before baking, but I don't think they need it. They were very rich, and wonderful warm. But, I agree with what Dorie says - you have to eat them with something that balances the richness. Hence the vanilla ice cream.
If you need a quick dessert, then make these. I loved them, and hopefully you will too! If you want the recipe, you can find it in the book (link above) or here. Enjoy!


No comments: