Monday, February 27, 2012

TWD: Chocolate Truffle Tartlets


This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was chosen by Steph of A Whisk and a Spoon, Spike of Spike Bakes, Jaime of Good Eats and Sweet Treats, and Jessica of Cookbookhabit.
Oh, these tarts. My apologies for not posting on time, but I have a real excuse - I was in the Dominican Republic! It was a great vacation with my family and my best friend. Obviously I couldn't bake at a resort, but not wanting to fall behind already, I figured I would make this when we got back. I decided to do it yesterday, thinking it wouldn't take too long.
Here's the thing. It's not very complicated. None of the steps take lots of time, but there are a lot of steps. There are chilling times, baking times, lots of things to chop and beat, etc, etc. It took a while. Luckily I was able to get them done by 7, and my mom and I ate these along with pão de queijo for our own little Oscars party :)
Look, they're good. I'm not going to deny that. Hey, this is Julia Child we're talking about! But are they that good? To be worth another afternoon making them? I don't think so. I'm happy I made them, but I probably won't do it again. The crust is interesting to make, but it ended up being quite crumbly and dry (although, in all fairness, I made it gluten-free for my mom, which may have affected the texture). The filling was good but resembled a simple flourless chocolate cake, although I did love the idea of chocolate chunks in it. The biscotti didn't stay very crunchy (although again, this could be due to the gluten-free cookies I used), but was yummy. Overall, a good one-time recipe.

I know other people loved it, so if you want to try it for yourself you can find the recipe on any of the hosts' blogs.
*To make it gluten-free, substitute the flour for all-purpose gluten-free flour (or a mix of various flours if you know how to do that), add 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum, and substitute some sort of gluten-free cookie for the biscotti (I used these).
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Perfect for an Oscar party! I loved these but felt the same way about them. A flourless cake is so similar and much easier! And oh yeah, it still counts!

Sophia said...

haha thank you