Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Healthy Honey Zucchini Bread

Although it may not seem like it from how many sweets I post, I don't actually just eat cupcakes and pie all day. Most of what I make gets taken to work with my dad to share with his colleagues or given to friends, and I end up having just a bit of it. This week, I wanted to bake something that I could have for breakfast during the week without feeling guilty about starting my day with tons of sugar. I decided to put together a few different zucchini bread recipes and create one that was as healthy as I could make it.
This bread is simple to whip up in the afternoon so that you can have it for breakfast the next day. Or as a snack right after baking it. Or for lunch. Or dinner. You know...
This uses whole wheat flour, pecans (you could also use walnuts), and lots of zucchini, which makes it pretty filling. I substituted honey and applesauce for the usual sugar and oil, making it moist with a hint of sweetness. It didn't come through as sweet as I wanted it to, so I like to serve each slice with a drizzle of honey. If you're looking for a dessert, this isn't it, but this is pretty tasty.
Enjoy! <3
Healthy Honey Zucchini Bread

a little over 1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
a bit over 1/4 cup honey
2/3 cup plain applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large zucchini, shredded
2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F. Oil or butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, honey, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir in shredded zucchini. Stir in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and pecans just until no streaks remain.
Pour batter into greased loaf pan and sprinkle the top with the sugar. Bake until golden and a skewer or knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about an hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Let cool for at least an hour before slicing, or wrap in plastic wrap and store overnight.
- makes 1 loaf

No comments: