Thursday, June 14, 2012

TWD: Oasis Naan

I totally meant to post this Tuesdays with Dorie last week, I really did. But last week was finals week, and I had to bake some cookies for a trip over the weekend. Naan wasn't happening! I finally made this a few days ago, and was shocked at how easy it was. The dough is quick to throw together - the only thing that took up some time was the kneading, which unlike lots of other recipes in Baking with Julia, has to be done by hand. It then rises for a couple of hours and is baked in a 500 degree oven.
I thought the method of baking was really interesting. Baking sheets are heated in the oven as it preheats, and then the dough is put onto them and baked for just 6-8 minutes. This results in quick, bake-right-before-eating naan that is perfect steaming hot and served with anything soupy and delicious!
This was so delicious, and I loved the topping of scallions, salt, and cumin seeds. I learned to watch out with the cumin seeds, because just two or three on a piece of bread gives a pretty strong flavor. I wished I could have gotten the full eight naans out of this recipe, but my dog had other plans...
She actually climbed up onto the table to grab a piece of raw dough.I was not happy...
Oh well, just an excuse to make this again! The recipe can be found on last week's hosts' blogs, Maggie of Always Add More Butter and Phyl of Of Cabbages & King's Cakes.

2 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

Funny that your dog went for the dough (although maybe it wasn't so much at the time...)
Looks good!

Sophia said...

haha (it wasn't then...)
thanks!