Friday, March 12, 2010

T... er... F....WD: Thumbprints For Us Big Guys

Yeah, yeah, sorry about it being Friday and all.... I didn't have time to make these until an hour ago. Honestly, I took the butter out of the fridge to soften five times :D
Anyways, this week's Tuesdays with Dorie was chosen by Mike of Ugly Food Dude. He chose Thumbprints For Us Big Guys. These are different from regular thumbprints because they use ground hazelnuts and raspberry jam. This recipe was slightly confusing, because Dorie's cookies look big and have wide indentations for the jam. But in the recipe she says to use teaspoons of dough and your pinkie to make an indentation. So they are super tiny. I made a few changes to the recipe:
- I used ground almonds instead of ground hazelnuts (equal amount)
- I cut the recipe in half
-Instead of using jam to fill them, I used chocolate ganache. After I ran out of that I used some chocolate syrup, which was surprisingly yummy.
These were just okay. They are very crumbly and dry, and don't have a distinct taste. But they are edible and quite sweet. Although they were interesting to make, I won't be making them again. Sorry Dorie! However, some of the other TWD members liked them a lot, so you can try the recipe for yourself. Find it here or in the book. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I gave up chocolate for Lent, and right now anything with chocolate looks absolutely divine to me. I think your thumbprints sound wonderful, I'm sorry that you didn't love them! They were awfully crumbly cookies . . .

Sophia said...

oh, just a few more weeks! thanks, though.