Wednesday, March 3, 2010

TWD Rewind: Florida Pie

Last night I had a few hours home alone with nothing to do, so I decided to make another TWD rewind. This one took quite a while and had many parts to it, but was fun to make. It starts off with a graham cracker crust. I used the leftover cookies from January's Daring Bakers challenge. I accidentally put in too much butter, so it was quite candy-like, but delicious. Anyways, then comes a simple mixture of sweetened coconut and cream, which has been cooked down. After that is a traditional key lime pie filling - lime juice, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk. All that is baked and then frozen for an hour (or, in my case, since it was getting late, 30 minutes) and then topped with a simple meringue made of egg whites, sugar, and sweetened coconut. I used my blowtorch ( :D ) to brown it, which I loved doing. After it was chilled for another 30 minutes, we tasted it and it was delicious! There are a lot of different flavors, but they all mix very well. Today we ate some more and it was still delicious, although the crust was sticking to the pie plate. Part of the meringue also became a sort of syrup... (?). If you want to try the recipe for yourself, you can buy the book or find it here. Enjoy!

No comments: