Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sour Cream Cookies

Right now, I am sitting in the overwhelming heat of Panama. But besides the heat, it is really fun to be here. We are spending Christmas with family, and we have been baking. A lot. I'll get pictures and recipes up as soon as I figure out how to on this computer...
I wanted to bring some cookies with me for when we got here, and I wanted something really Christmas-y. I decided on these sour cream cut-outs from a little cookie book I have, because they looked easy. That they were, and they were better than I thought they would be. I used Christmas cookie cutters, and sprinkled red and green decorating sugar on them BEFORE baking. Also, they keep very well, because we are still eating them three days after they were made. They are supposed to yield four and a half dozen, but they really make way more, although I rolled the dough pretty thin. So if you want an easy cut-out cookie recipe, make this one. And tell me how it goes! Enjoy!

Sour Cream Cookies (from Cookies! crunchy, chewy, nutty, crumbly, chocolaty)

1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup sour cream
sugar, to sprinkle on top of cookies (I used red and green)

Preheat oven to 425F.
In a large bowl, mix sugar, shortening, butter, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.
Divide dough into 3 parts. Roll out each part 1/4-inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board. Cut with 2-inch cookie cutter and sprinkle with sugar.
Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 6-8 minutes (some of mine took a bit less than 6), or until almost no imprint remains when touched lightly in center.
Remove to wire racks to cool.
Yield: 4 1/2 dozen


No comments: